ABOUT THE PROJECT
As part of our commitment to global innovation, VSI was asked to explore the use of VR technology as a communication medium for public relations and education and training purposes to the Oil/Gas Industries
- Train operators on the use of coal mine equipment in a safe and efficient way, without disrupting operations.
- Create understanding and foster teamwork between operators of different equipment to improve safety and communications.
- Create a simulation that accurately depicts what the operators are doing.
VSI developed an interactive “game” that allows the player to follow the flow of gas through a standard LNG plant, interacting with the equipment. For example, the valves on the slug catcher must be opened to start the flow of gas into the plant. This game was showcased at one of the world’s largest oil and gas conferences, LNG18, as a way to explore the intricacies of an LNG plant.
The game cumulates in a complex simulation (developed by Woodside) involving operation of an LNG plant where the user has control of a number of key drivers. The player must exceed certain production targets to succeed.
- This module provided a useful, engaging, educational tool that can be utilized internally (i.e. employee education) and externally (i.e. recruitment, public relations and education).
- Demonstrated the ability for VR technology to be cost effective interactive tool to communicate complex chemical processes in an easy to understand format.